36. Lake Tahoe, California & Nevada - October 16


(Click on the uTube link at the end to see more pictures).

We were in hot pursuit of recreation and South Lake Tahoe was the perfect place to give the old bones and muscles a bit of a challenge, and rejuvenate our body and soul at the same time.


Saturday: Too late to hit the mountain trails, we enjoyed the simple life on the beach and the glorious autumn leaves glowing bright yellow and orange in the sun.




Sunday: We picked up our wilderness permit and the Echo Lakes hike was on. The trail started off easy until I felt the crunch of snow under my feet. Of course, we should have turned around, but me, I had to reach the top. I’ve never been good at half measures. The spectacular scenery distracted me partially from the pain, as well as from the warning of early winter – fierce winds and plummeting temperatures.




Monday: We dressed in layers; tank top, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt & jacket and hiked to Eagle Falls, and on to Velmas, Dicks and FontanillisLakes, in the heart of the Desolation Wilderness. It was a tough hike up and an even tougher one down because of all the loose rocks. And it was hot. I was down to the tank top and was still sweating like a pig. By the time I was done, so were my legs. Later that evening I came to the conclusion: I will never hike again. NEVER!




Tuesday: I am a master of my domain, an adult who chooses what to do and live with the consequences. Note: I’m also a friggin’ moron. I chose to hike the horrible Cathedral Trail. It was a haul and even the super light backpack weighted me down. Where the hell is a Sherpa when you need one!


Wednesday: Instead of another scenic hike, I should have stayed in bed, or engage in a more genteel outdoor activity. But NO! We had to lace up the boots and take on the Glen Alpine Trail. I was sick of walking an hour into the four hour round-trip. My brain was numb and my feet hurt. Not having lungs of steel, I gasped for breath when a tall fellow with a weather-beaten face and beard passed us, saying “Isn’t this a great trail”, and then vanished into thin air. Disappeared! Like a phantom! I wasn’t able to speak, so I shrugged. My first reaction was: “Eh.” My second: “Ugh.” Then I closed my eyes and longed for death.



Thursday: No hike today. Just hanging out on the lake! But by noon we had that wacky and crazy idea of hiking the Angora Lakes Trail – more out of guilt than anything. The scenery was stunning - two lakes framed by cliffs. It was not a stroll in the park, but thankfully it wasn’t a sweaty strenuous slog through the wilderness either. I actually enjoyed the hike because everywhere looked like a post card.



Friday: Inspired by yesterday’s hike, we decided to do the Bayview trail. The mother of all trails! A holy place where evidence of an amazing creator is all around; if you live long enough to see it. After passing a chain of Alpine Lakes the trail ascends ten thousand feet up a serious of switchbacks up the side of Maggie’s Peak. I felt like shouting some incomprehensible profanities but I was numb and speechless. The only thing worse would be getting hit by lightning; now that would really suck.



Saturday: No hike. From now on, if the stunning scenery can’t be reached by car, screw it. If I have to leave the radius of a Wi-Fi connection, forget it. If I never walk along a dirt path ever again, it will be too soon. Give me the smell of diesel, the sound of rushing traffic, and the tranquility of a city bustling with millions of people. At least until the next hike!



Click on the youTube link below to see more pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOlaCwEOtg